I’ve been steadily plugging along at the large scale paintings. Somerville Open Studios is about a month away and I want to have a cohesive body of work showing.
The first of the big candy paintings is done. I’m happy with the piece and learned a lot in the process. Just like the cans, everything gets a little more challenging when it is scaled up. I’ve been using more glazing techniques and multiple layers to get the reflective and color qualities that I want.
Catching up on posting some work that’s been in the works. The past few weeks have seen the completion of a new painting for Echoes, a commissioned painting for a wedding present, and scrambling to get everything organized for Brickbottom Open Studios!
Since I haven’t finished the commissioned landscape or photographed the Echoes painting, here are a few new pieces of candy:
I haven’t posted in a couple weeks because I have been plodding through a larger piece. It’s coming along, slowly and with effort. I’m at the point now where I wish it finished for the sake of it being finished; I know if I set it aside and work on something else I will likely never return to it.
Also, in advance of open studios I have been ramping up my painting on days that I don’t work my full time job. Normally, on a day off, I will putz around the house, and paint for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. In the past two weeks, however, I have spent a total of 5 days off, painting for a 2-3 hour stretch in the morning, and another 2-3 hour stretch in the afternoon. That’s a lot of standing in front of the easel!
But it pays off! This week, in addition to the work on the larger painting, I completed two smaller works. Thanks to the urging of friends, what started out as exercises have developed into small series.
untitled (dream study VII) : Oil on wood. 8″x10″ 2016 (SOLD)
Still continuing the sweets theme this week. A couple more donuts added to the collection. I’m happier about the surface of these two: the jelly had to be wiped off and repainted at one point to better understand the sugary texture on top.
However, both suffer a bit in the shadow area in the bite. I’m not sure exactly what to mix to convey shadows that are both cool, deep, and yellow… every time I mixed up the colors I came out with something of a grey green approximation. Maybe the next study will be a focus on just that part.